Thursday, February 14, 2013

Asparagus Casserole Side Dish

I love a well-rounded meal.  I want a meat, a starch & a veggie -- and I want them to all be easily prepared.  Here, I made the asparagus casserole, but the rice just had to boil & the salmon went straight from the freezer into the oven.  I bought the pre-seasoned salmon fillets at Costco, and the rice was just a wild rice with some garlic salt & butter.  Everything was ready in about 40 minutes, start to finish.  Here is the asparagus recipe:

Ingredients:
Garlic salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 pound fresh asparagus
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
Make a white sauce by first melting butter in a small sauce pan.  Stir in flour, garlic salt & pepper and blend well with butter to form a paste.  Add milk, stirring constantly over low - medium heat.  Cook until smooth and thickened like gravy.  Set aside to use later.

Wash asparagus & break off the woody parts.  Snap the asparagus into 2 to 3 inch pieces and make a layer in a 10 inch oven-safe dish. (I like to use my Pampered Chef Deep Dish Baker.)  Spoon white sauce over the asparagus pieces.  Sprinkle with grated cheddar.

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.   mmm MMM... I love my asparagus like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment